Prawn and Vegetable Tempura
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Based on this revised recipe – Prawn and Vegetable Tempura is 460kcals and 22.6g of fat/serving
- 12 large tiger prawns, peeled with tail ends kept on
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into 8 wedges
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 4 thick rounds
- 8 asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 1 courgette, sliced into rounds
- 2 litres groundnut oil for deep frying
- 240g of cooked sushi rice to serve
For the batter
- 85g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200ml ice cold sparkling water
For the dipping sauce
- 1 cm ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
Firstly make the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients together.
Mix together the batter ingredients in a bowl but be sure not to over mix to ensure a really light batter. Your better off having a lumpy batter than a tough one. The batter needs to be kept really cold too so add some ice cubes if your worried and also use it immediately.
Fill a deep fat fryer, very deep saucepan or wok one-third of the way up with oil. Test the temperature by adding a small piece of bread. It’s hot enough when the bread browns in 30 seconds.
One by one, plunge the prawns and veggies into the tempura batter, then drop them into the hot oil. Fry for one minute or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper before serving immediately.
Start cooking yourself thin today! Join from as little as £7.95 a month